Monday, May 21, 2012

Spokeshave love....

I will get back to the spokeshave but firstly I planed the outer stem, to make it square and the right dimensions. There will be more shaping to come.


I do not have a good way of clamping it so I use screws to fix it to the strongbox.

Close up of the screw clamping

I am not sure what kind of wood it is exactly but it has a very distinctive smell when you cut or plane it, sort of burt and peppery with hints of flowers....? (Sound like a wine but it is very definitively wood!)




I also needed to shape the skeg a little more for this a spokeshave is the perfect tool, but as you know I have not had the best of luck with my "el cheapo" spokeshave, see here and here. Anyhow I decided to give it a good sharpening and get on with it.


To my utter surprise I found that it is a lovely tool, cuts both fine and thick depending on what you need. An absolutely excellent tool (when sharp enough), I could have used this for a lot of tasks if I had known how much I would like it!!!!!!

Skeg after "spokeshaving" (?)

Finally I started to look into how to arrange the stem/skeg and potentially other rubbing pieces on the bottom.

Maybe this is a good arrangement?

Time today: 2h

4 comments:

  1. Det ser ut som körsbärs trä...

    Kram Helene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ja jag vet inte riktigt, skulle vara nån sorts mahogany liknande....?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is African Mahony called Sapele (Entandrophragma cylindricum Sprague). Smell is escribed as citron mixed with cedre
    . More info here: http://woodclub.pl/publikacje/32-mahonie.html
    Unfortunately in polish but mechanical properties should be possible to translate.

    Piotr

    ReplyDelete