Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The middle piece

Worked on the middle piece of the garboard today. Started by marking it of on the 6mm ply, I noticed that the template had become a little loose in the joints so I decided to cut it quite a bit bigger than the marking.



After the dry fitting I noticed that there where far from enough curve at the bottom, the top side was quite ok. Since the lower side is concave I could not really plane it to the right shape so I used my sable saw to cut slivers of it and dry fitted many times to get the right shape.

Plank, slivers and saw

Plank in place after final shaping, no scarf with the forward end yet and no screws in bottom stringer (that is why it sags a little)

Since I shaped both starboard and port together I get two identical planks so the fitting on the other side only required a touch up with the plane.

I also drew up the shape of the last part of the plank, but as my power tool policy do not allow me to cut this late it will have to wait until another day.



Time today: 2.5h

No comments:

Post a Comment