Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sails!

Picked up my sails today! They look really nice, not enough light in the pictures to make them justice...

The bag

Out of the bag

Mizzen

Main, I could not get far enough away to get the whole thing in the picture despite it being a tiny sail

Continued fine planing the stringers with the block plane, now I had good use of the guide/jig I built, especially between the frames where there is less guidance for the plane.





I also glued up the main boom


To end the day I decided to hone the planes a little so that they will be nice and sharp for tomorrow. During the sharpening I discovered a hairline crack on the smoothing plane blade, so perhaps I need to get a Hock blade sooner than I expected.


The crack is about a third from the right edge

Here the blade is turned over so you will see the crack about a third in from the left.

I have been starting to go through the "Hooked on Wooden Boats" podcasts, I can really recommend them for anyone that likes wooden boats.

Time today: 3h





No comments:

Post a Comment