Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Stringers

Started with the stringers today. But first I had to move the top supports for the frames since I had mounted them so that they interfered with the stringers.

The stringers are extremely stiff, it was actually hard to fit them to the three midship frames not to speak of fore and aft. So out with the steam box, if I had one... Instead I wrapped the stringer in a couple of towels and poured boiling water onto it every 5-10 minutes for about an hour.

"Steaming" setup, please note the highly advanced drip tray arrangement

I did not take a lot of pictures today so you get to see it again!

After that treatment it bent very easily into place, a couple of screws and a clamp at the stem and we have a nice curve.

First stringer in bent in place, at least the forward end

The towel method is a simple way to get it done but as I need to boil and pour water on it all the time it is also a very time consuming method. I might need to think about building a steam box, I am thinking drain pipe and some way to make steam without me watching all the time......

Time today: 2.5h

No comments:

Post a Comment